What is Constipation – Reason, Symptoms And Home Remedies

Constipation is nothing but irregularities of motion. In other words, you can say it is irritable bowel syndrome. It may vary from person to person. In other words, you can say hard stools, difficulty passing them (straining), or a sense of incomplete emptying after a bowel movement. In this article, we’ll discuss what causes constipation, Constipation Symptoms, Constipation remedy & Treatment.

Constipation could be chronic or acute. Either way, it affects the whole functioning of the body including mind. Around 30% of the general population suffers from constipation. On the other hand, 50-70% of elderly people suffer from it.

Constipation Symptoms

The most common Constipation symptoms is human stool is being hard & dry. The other constipation symptoms include abdominal pain, bloating, & feeling as if one has not completely passed the bowel movement. Almost everyone suffers from occasional constipation. However, if you are passing less than 4 stools a week for many following weeks then it may be a constipation symptom.

Here is a list of some other symptoms of constipation:

  • Loss of appetite
  • Stomach ache
  • Headache
  • Ulcers in the mouth
  • Pimples
  • Bad breath

What Causes Constipation

A healthy stomach is a reason for a healthy body and mind. If you are suffering from constipation, you will be stressed all the time which again could lead to other health issues like:

  • Hemorrhoids – If you have to strain to pass the stool, your veins in and around the anus may get swollen.
  • Anal Fissure – Large or hard stool can tear anus muscles.
  • Fecal Imp-action – Chronic constipation can harden the stool and it may get stuck in the intestine causing a blockage.
  • Rectal Prolapse – Straining to pass the stool can cause small parts of the rectum to protrude from the anus.

Apart from the above, it has other implication like stress, headache, continuous bloating, etc.

Reasons for constipation

Here are some other major factors that can lead to constipation:

  • If your food does not contain enough amount of fiber than you could suffer from constipation.
  • Dieting or eating smaller amounts of food can also lead to the disease.
  • Stress is another leading reason for constipation.
  • Parkinson’s disease.
  • Too much consumption of caffeinated drinks like tea or coffee.
  • Not drinking enough water in a day.
  • Lack of physical work.
  • Low thyroid hormone.
  • Diabetic patients are more vulnerable to constipation.
  • Consumption of meat and other non-vegetarian food.
  • Certain medications can induce constipation.
  • Low amount of calcium or potassium.
  • Certain injuries.
  • Diseases of the intestines or liver.
  • Eating food late in the night, skipping meals or having meals at odd hours is also responsible for constipation.
  • Having meals at odd hours. If your sleeping patterns are disturbing due to working in night shifts then you are more prone to constipation than normal people.

Constipation Remedy- Home Remedies for constipation

Drinking milk with two spoons of ghee right before going to bed is said to help clean the intestines and proper bowel movement. this is the most common home remedies for constipation. Here are few home remedies for constipation-

Lemon For Constipation

Lemons are high in vitamin C and they are excellent for indigestion. Drinking Lemon water every night before sleeping will soften the stool and help in curing constipation.

Cure Constipation with Curd

Adding curd in your plate will keep your stomach healthy. It is made up of 88% water. It has been used by many for relief in other gastric problems.

Beans

Beans are full of nutrients. They fulfil the need of necessary vitamins, minerals, protein and fibre in the body. Include beans in your diet and you will start having normal digestion.

Watermelons – the best way to cure constipation

The sweet fruit is made up of 90% water. It is a rich source of thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B-6, folate, pantothenic acid, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper, manganese, selenium, choline, lycopene, and betaine. Additionally, it is so rich in fiber that eating it regularly will reduce constipation.

Whole grain cereals

Avoid eating wheat flour and start eating cereals rich in fiber. Remember, normally 30% of fiber content is necessary for the proper functioning of the stomach.

Add green vegetables

Start having green vegetables like spinach and fenugreek leaves. These will balance your digestive system and thus your health.

Water

It is most important to drink plenty of water. It helps in the proper functioning of the stomach and body. Drinking 2 glasses of lukewarm water every morning will help regulate the digestive system.

Note : Overthinking, fear, anxiety or depression can also cause constipation.

Best Home Remedies for constipation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *